Welcome

The time in Cape Town is:

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oh boy so much to blog about and not a lot of time

Let me share some quick thoughts off the top of my head, these are not super spiritual just some differences I am noticing.

In Africa there is no such thing as a plush roll of toilet paper... 1 ply, small roll and it is scratchy!!!

There is no such thing as a gallon of milk, they are sold in the 1/2 gallon or smaller, probably because there are not a lot of preservatives and they go bad faster, also bread goes moldy quickly b/c of the lack of preservatives.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is scary! I have only done it once (Andrea), Shelby however is a pro.. show off!

I have learned to hang my laundry, I feel quite accomplished when I see all the clothes on the line. Also, whites are so much whiter, I dont know why this is but they are brillantly white. This makes me happy.

I have a family of mongoose living in my front garden (lawn)... yes mongoose, like Rikki tikki tavi (remember the story)?

African time is not US time, it is slow paced here and I think people are less stressed. I'm working on it :)

My feet will never be pink again. I dont know if my childrens feet will ever be clean again. Africa is a dirty place and the dirt gets everywhere.

Ok... a short update. We are good, setteling in a bit. We all now have mattresses and our kitchen is working, someone from the church lent us a dining room table so we are good to go. We are unpacked and putting things away and hopefully I will be starting up homeschool next week.

The first week I was completely overwhelmed by the sights and the poverty, this week I am in love with the land and the people.

There is so much need, but instead of being overwhelmed the Lord allowed me to hear His heart. I am only called to do His will, not save everyone or fix everything! I do just the will of the Lord for me.

I have tons of pictures, and as soon as I can upload some I will share. We get a land line in 2-3 weeks and then in another 2-3 weeks we get internet (remember African time). So, until then I am out of the loop and only on the net here and there.

Please dont forget us and keep praying for us. Shelby is doing a basketball clinic at the orphanage next week, teaching basketball and Jesus :) Pray that the Lord blesses.

Love you all and Blessings,
Andrea

5 comments:

  1. I am so blessed to know you! What a wonderful and exciting adventure you are all on! I love you all and am thinking of you everyday.... Give the kids my love and hope to see you on facebook in a month hugs and kisses.... Brandi Weiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. nge soku mfondisa ii basketball neh inkulu inkulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you love it there! I miss you terribly and want to be able to see you! I am praying for you an love you all! Meme had said that we should go visit you all sometime! Hopefully we can visit you this summer! I am saving up my money now!

    PS: We can send you some cottonelle we can! haha!

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. forget you? never! I say a prayer for you each time I open your canisters! i was thinking of you all just now and thought i'd check your blog to see what you're up to. love, hugs & prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andre,

    I LOVED reading this post! Our family is entering our 5th month in Thailand. We're still settling and getting used to everything. We're sharing some VERY commonalities! The milk, bread, etc. is exactly the same way here! We do not have a car, so we walk everywhere, with our groceries and typically our 3 littles! They usually carry the bread bags:-) The driving here is insane, and it's also on the opposite side! I LOVED your comment re: the laundry. We have a small "balcony" in which i strategically place the clothes! On a good day, the clothes dry in a couple of hours! Tonight, I have towels drying on some chairs with fans and told my husband "well, our dryer is broken". We have to laugh!
    Just wanted to encourage you and your family! Praying for all of you and love reading how God is using you! I have ups and downs, still, and when I am overwhelmed by the great need that surrounds us, I'm also reminded that God brought us here and will use us in the way He desires...we don't have to do anything but listen, follow and obey! I pray peace, joy and contentment over all of you!

    You can catch our story at www.journeywiththeclarks.com!

    Much love and prayers!
    Beth Clark

    ReplyDelete