Welcome

The time in Cape Town is:

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

God is always at work even when we dont know it!

Praise God for He still does miracles and is able to remove great obstacles.  Please Lord, increase our faith.

Sometimes it is best for me to not know how difficult something really is until its over.  I mean why wouldn't the school let Nelly back in?  She is only 8 weeks behind and after all everyone knows if she doesn't finish now, she never will.  No big deal that the 10th grade student teacher ratio is 44:1, 38:1, and 34:1.  Well evidently in the past, the school has said no to a number of different people on numerous different occasions regarding other students in a similar situation.  So the pattern has normally been that they don't have to let you back.  This is something I was unaware of until after the fact.

Yesterday I went to a lady, who runs the after school program, that I am a part of on Tuesday.  I spoke with her regarding our concerns that Nelly's uniform and school supplies could possibly be taken by the others who live in her apartment.   She couldn't believe we got Nelly back in to school.  She even asked if I would be on a committee that she chairs that deals with the principal on a regular basis.  For some reason I have gained his favor.

Today I took Nelly to see the social worker.  Nelly has a open case and they have been to her current home and are not happy with the living arrangement, but have no other options at this time.  We said down and she said, "you are wearing a uniform?".  "Yes, I went back to school today," said Nelly.  She asked how this happend and Nelly just pointed at me.  She then told me "well now you have my attention, because I have been trying to get Nelly back into school for some time.  The principal told me no, I wrote a letter and he still said no.  I wrote to the education department and they told me to write a different letter which I did and he still said no."  I offered no explanation other than God and maybe because I am American.

 Long term plan that we discussed is to find a foster home for Nelly.  Everyone agrees that where she is staying is not a good, long term solution.  As far as her clothes and school things goes, I went and spoke with Nelly's best friends mother.  She live a good distance away but still in Ocean view, in area known as Beverly Hills.  The plan on the table is that Nelly can keep her school belongings and uniforms there at her house and come there in the morning and after school.  So for the time being we know the things that we have purchased are safe.  Thanks to you generous donations, we will be doing some shopping this weekend now that we know things will be safe.  While speaking with the mom, I also put a bug in her ear about fostering.  Explaining to her how it works and how at this stage is may be the best option for Nelly.  So please pray for her.  I don't even know her name, but God does.

Nelly enjoyed being back at school and seeing old friends.  I asked if she had any trouble with her teachers and she said no.  So, for now things are good.  We will take her shopping again for a few things, but for the moment she is back in school.  By your generosity we are able to pay her past due school fees, current school fees, and put money back for future school fees should she decide to go on and graduate, in addition to school uniforms and all her school supplies.  One of our policies at LifeXchange is that there are no free handouts, so in that regard we will sit down and set up an agreement with Nelly in order to qualify for this scholarship.

God has used this as an opportunity for me to meet the principal and to find some favor with him.  Hopefully and prayerfully now I can approach him about doing a Youth for Christ club at the school.  I have also met and found favor with the social workers that work in Ocean View.  I have spoken with all of them regarding our desire to start a place of safety and they are all behind it 100%.  Now we are just praying for the right place.

God was busy making rough places smooth and high places low today and I wasn't even aware He was doing it till it was all over! I'm praising Him for all He has done in this girls life and that I have gotten to witness it!

Trusting He will continue to do the same moving forward!

Shelby

2 comments:

  1. That is just so awesome! God is Good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God from whom all blessings flow......

    ReplyDelete