Welcome

The time in Cape Town is:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Say hello to my little friends... who live in my backyard...eeek!

This morning started with Drew and I going outside to peg washing (hang our laundry). Drew yelled because he has kicked a frog, and he said it felt super gross. So, we set out to find it and it was huge and well hidden. We would have never seen it, if we were not looking for it. This made us start LOOKING... because what else have we been missing. We pegged our wash and then walked back really looking and we found a huge snail.



Then we noticed all these dirt mounds all over the ground so drew whacked one and a frog came out... but it scared him and he wacked the frog too (poor frog). The frog lived, but it was a nasty, globby frog with yellow spots on it's back. We heard he may be poisonous. I have to google him.


Those were the critters between my wash line and back door. That I saw, there's probably many more.

Here are some others we have found living around our home over the past few months.

Millipede? Centipede? I'm not sure what it is, but I bet it has pede in it's name. These are pretty big, but when you mess with them they roll into a ball. They dont hurt you!!!



This little guy usually climbs up the wall of my house, but today we found one inside...ewww! Anyway, you may want to avert your eyes to the next pictures because I think they are doing something private in these pics???? but I really dont know??? It looks like they should have some alone time.
             what a beautiful color they are!


This is one of the weirdest little things ever. I thought there was a small piece of bark in the house and went to sweep it out and noticed it moved. Upon further inspection I noticed it was NOT bark but some strange bark like "thing". What is it an insect? 
It has a head like thing stick out from inside it's bark like outer shell... strange indeed!

The next is my favorite!!! (said in all sarcasm I can muster) My family and close friends will know how much this just kills me that this is living in the trees outside of my house. Oh, there is a good probability that they are also living in my attic... good times, good times.

This precious little guy is called the blue headed agama. They really are pretty... pretty scary! Their heads and bodies change all sorts of pretty shades of blue and orange/yellow when they are doing their little mating dance. We have lots of these. One day Drew and Gabe were climbing a tree and it ran over Gabe's hand and fell onto Drew's shoulder! If that would have happened to me I would have fallen out of the tree and met my demise. Hence, you will not find me climbing any trees! I was thinking about doing just that... really I was.

That is your nature walk through our yard. What do you think? 

Blessings Friends,
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Love it!
    When I moved to Texas I was a bit...okay very much creeped out by the critters:) ME of all people!
    Now that my kids PLAY with scorpions (NO JOKE)...torture them really:), have been bitten by a black widow, and have studied the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes and what to do when you encounter one...well, after almost 6 years of this I'm not creeped out at all:)
    BUT....the picture you took was indeed a millipede. I was unsure of this critter for awhile when I found it on our drive way. It too is harmless. Good luck with ALL your odd critters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just showed my boys (2 and 4) your pictures of the animals and my oldest one said, "I want to live in Africa. How do you get there?"

    ReplyDelete