Welcome

The time in Cape Town is:

Friday, November 19, 2010

Baptized into the ministry of snot...

I thought I should blog next about our orphanage. Oh, how I love all the kids there... but I need to start at the beginning. The second week we were here we ran a sports camp for the kids in the orphanage and in the township. I was super excited about going there for my very first time. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but what I saw was NOT what I was expecting.

First we entered into a slum area, these are called townships. It was shocking, the homes are very poor, some are nothing more than shacks. It is scary.When we pulled up to the orphanage all of the children ran out to meet us. I couldn't wait to meet all of them, THEN I opened the car door.... what greeted me was the strong smell of urine and rotting garbage!!! The thought ran through my mind to quick close the car door and leave. What you all need to know about me is I am a terrible jerm a phobe, it is very true. Bad smells make me gag and I really just dont want anything jermy to touch me. Yep! The nasty truth about me.

The Lord showed up big time, first He just helped me out of the car. This is when a beautiful little girl ran up to me and put her precious face on my arm, she then wiped her snotty nose from the top of my arm all the way down to my wrist (Let that sink in for a minute). This is when the Lord said to me "Look at her, I love her so much and today you get to love her physically for me. Be my hands and love her." Amazingly, that is just what I did. This is how I was baptized into the ministry of snot.

Today, the orphanage is one of my favorite places to go. The children running next to our car, the hugs when we get out, the joy in their eyes when they see us. They are delightful and I am thankful that they get to see Jesus in us, and feel His love when we are around. I learn so much from them, they have nothing, yet find joy in small things. They have wonderful smiles and joy, there is always a song on their lips and a dance in their step.


Such a sweet face!

This is Analise, I adore her! She calls me Mama.

This is Shelby and Mduzi spending some time together during the basketball camp. They are buddies.

This was one of my many new hairdos that day. Notice they dont have lot's of hair and I do, we played hair salon all day. This was one of the best gifts I could give them.

  Brie is amazing with the kids. They love her and she just shines with Jesus love to them. She will hug and
                      love on everyone equally. She is such a joy for me to watch, when she serves.

There is so much more to say about the orphanage and all we have going on there right now, but I wanted to give you a glimpse of how it all began. Praise the Lord He is faithful to us and meets us right where we need Him. He does not always call us to neat and tidy ministry, sometimes it is dirty, messy and snotty. I love how He gently reminds me that He is in control and it is not about what I like or want... simply put... His will be done. Obedience brings such joy that I should never doubt when He tells me to do something that tears at my flesh. I think He will probably continually be tearing back who we think we are to expose who we are suppossed to be. Praise Him He knows what He is doing and all His ways are good.

Blessings,
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Who would have thought snot could be holy? It's just like God to confound us germ-a-phobes! Thank you for being His hands and feet and arms, ready for snotty noses and sin-stained hearts whose healing comes from Jesus.

    ReplyDelete