Welcome

The time in Cape Town is:

Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 1

Disclaimer - for some of you this might be way too much information,
but this is my main way of communicating with my family right now and
my children will want as many details as possible so i am journalling
random thoughts thru out the day and then just posting when i can get
internet access. Thanks for stopping by.

Day 1- what a long flight. It's 1:00 Durban time. Could only sleep for
about hour last night. Now I am trying to stay awake until we get to
Durban so I can sleep tonight. The flight to dc was pretty bad, it was
so small that I couldn't even stand up and it was pretty rough. In dc
we had to take these shuttles from one terminal to another, they were
like jacked up mobile homes. The international terminal was pretty
neat to walk around and see all the different people and destinations.
It did however have a very unusual smell. The south African airways
plane is huge. 75 rows I think with 7 seats in each row. Each seat has
a tv screen with movies, games, tv shows, there is even a camera on
the wing of the plane and you can watch that. It's pretty cool for
take offs and landings. When you get on the plane there is a little
gift bag sitting on your seat along with a blanket and pillow. In the
bag is a cute little pair o slipper socks, one of those things to put
over your face so it's dark (so don't pay 10 bucks at the airport),
and a nifty little toothbrush. For dinner last night we had a choice
of meatloaf or spicy chicken but when they got to us they only had
meatloaf. We got meatloaf, mashed patatoes, peas, chesse and crackers,
patatoe salad, and a kit-kat bar for desert. This morning we landed
in Dakar, which is literally the closest piece of land that you come
to when you hit Africa. We landed in the dark and waited for about an
hour while they refueled and resupplied the plane. Some people got off
the plane and a few boarded. We all just kind of stood around chit
chatting waiting for the plane to take off. A man from johansburg
asked me if we were "holidaying" in Durban, I guess that means
vacation, whatever they have the coolest accents ever. Hope I can pick
that up. There is a very eclectic group of people on the plane. Lots
of south Africans returning home, there we a view woman in traditional
African clothing. One across the isle from us slept with the blanket
covering her face and everything I just wanted to reach over and grab
it so she could breath. Lots of older couples vacationing, I mean
holidaying. Most all the stewardess are African and the woman have
very cool hair. It's all reaaly small braids and then kinda wrapped
really cool in the back. Brie would like it. While we were sitting in
dakar night turned to day. It seemed like a really small airport, if
it wasn't for planes needeing fuel I'm not sure why anyone would stop
there. There is one runway for the big planes and to take off you have
to taxi all the way down, do a uturn and then take off. When we took
off you could see that the runway was literally right on the water.
You could see all the small fishing boats leaving for the day. Some of
them were really far out there for as small as their boats were. On
this flight it's so bright out that they make everyone close the
windows, now it feels like a cave in here. Every once and awhile I
will crack mine just to shed a little light in the cabin. It is really
bright. We got breakfast shortly after take off and she asked if I
wanted eggs or pancakes. I got pancakes, Jesse got eggs. Jesse took
off his lid and it was eggs, sausage, patatoes, and salsa. I looked at
him and said that's not what see said. Oh well I got two pancakes
rolled up with some fruit sauce on top. Plus you get a fruit salad,
yogurt, and a muffin. No kit-kat bar this time. Anyway my sleep
schedule and eating schedule are both way off. It's 2:11 pm now Durban
time and I think we will be getting "lunch" soon. Note to self travel
with snacks.

I was reading in numbers and came across this verse, And the Lord said
to Moses, "Has the Lord's arm been shortened? Now you shall see
whether what I say will happen to you or not." numbers 11:23.
Everyone is complaining that all they have to eat is manna and they
want some meat. God tells Moses thAt he has heard their complaint and
they will eat meat not for a day or a week, but for a whole month.
Moses gets a little sarcastic with god like where is all this food
going to come from? Are all this fish in the sea going to die so we
can eat meat for a month? God responds with the verse above. Kind of
like, look Moses I said i would do it, now sit back and watch. Kind of
sums up my thoughts on this trip and us moving here. I can look at the
magnitude of the cost and logistics of getting us all over here, but
if god has ordained it, I just get to watch it all happen. Gods hand
is not too short to make all happen that needs to happen for this to
happen. "now you shall see whether what I say will happen to you or
not.". We have watched god make a way for us to go on this trip, so
now we are just praying that he will speak clearly while we are here
what the next step is.

It was really weird not to be able to call and talk to the family when
we landed in Dakar. I will probably need to buy a prepaid phone card
cause I'm not sure just skyping is gonna cut it for three weeks. By
the way Drew I am going almost 600 m.p.h.p at 40000 feet and it's -65
outside. Oh, and if you don't travel with snacks try and travel with
someone who does. Thanks Jesse for my oatmeal cookie pie and granola
bar.

4:30 durban time got "lunch" let's see chicken pasta, some raw fish
thing (ecccck), crackers, a roll (every meal comes with bread), some
chocolate cake thing. Not too bad. Still fighting sleep. Land in
johansburg in about 40 minutes, than about an hour layover and then
our final flight to Durban. There are people who have literally slept
the last 15 hours, they must have had some strong drugs. Time to pack
up all my things.

5:17 (Durban time) just touched down in johannsburg, south Africa.
Have to get all of our stuff and go thru customs and then board our
last flight for Durban. Hopefuly find some wifi and talk with everyone.


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment