Welcome

The time in Cape Town is:

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Monday 3/15

Monday 3/15

Numbers 14:8-9

Seems like we have been here longer than 4 days. My sleep is restless 
but about six hours last night. There were a couple of times yesterday 
that I found myself dosing off but I think I had alot to do with 
sitting and doing nothing.

We slept on top of our sheets last night, as I am still slightly 
weired out by this hotel. Jesse says he has stayed in worse, but not 
sure I can say the same.  There is something living in our walls. If I 
was home I would say it was a rat, but this Africa so who knows. Oh 
wait now there's two.

This morning we cross the border into Lesotho. They say it should take 
about an hour.  As we drive into the mountains they say we will drive 
one kilometer forward and 1.3 kilometers up.  So yea pretty much 
straight up. 6 hours to go 250 kilometers.

6:00 pm durban time what a day. We are finally here. Lots of difficult 
driving. We had a great breakfast at the hotel and then got on the 
road about 8:30. Made it thru customs with no problems. Never really 
ate lunch had some snacks on the way. Currently we are sitting and 
waiting to find out where we can set up. We need to set up the big 
tent and also ou personal tents and also start making dinner. This 
Africa time thing is very difficult sometimes. We have alot to do and 
are losing daylight fast.

I have a fever blister breaking out on my face not sure if it's stress 
or what.

The quote of the day would be "give me sweets". Every village w came 
to the children would run out to the road and say give me sweets, so 
obviously at some point they have been given handouts. It's hard to 
put into words what you see. The scenerary is breath taking. Never 
ending mountains. And then just randomly there are villages spread out 
thru out the trip. You see kids in uniforms walking miles for school 
and others naked or barefoot standing in front of their homes. 
Handouts are obviously not the answer, and quite frankly I'm not even 
sure what they are missing. The would have never known sweets if 
someone would have never introduced them.

I don't know what time we were suppossed to get here or what we were 
suppossed to get done, but I know we were late and the only got out 
tents set up, the big tent up, and ate.

The is no power, water, or electricity.  There are many children oddly 
enough smiling, laughing and having fun. Within minutes of us stopping 
the trucks and all gathering around trying to figure things out we had 
a crowd. The stood their distance not knowing what to think. They were 
spread out just watching us watching them. Well Shaun had went to meet 
the cheif so I decided it was time to meet our neighbors. I walked 
towards some of the younger ones and they quickly retreated. I backed 
up towards the cars and waited a minute before I decided to try again. 
This time I headed to the oldest boy. I remember saying out loud (as 
if he could understand) you must be the leader. We shook hands and 
suddenly they were running and lining up to shake hands. We played 
some soccer and then proceded to make camp.

Shaun is sick it is weird really it didn't happen till we pulled into 
camp and he met with the leaders.  Sounds like vodoo magic to me. We 
had pb& j for lunch and it is off to bed early.


No comments:

Post a Comment